Thursday, February 18, 2010

Am I CRAZY??

I started taking an adult jazz class at the beginning of January. A few moms from the dance studio Emily attends approached me about doing it, suggesting that it would be nice to have a better understanding of the time/energy our daughters put into dancing, as well as being something fun and different for ourselves, and a great work-out. One of the moms said that for her, she wanted to set the example for her daughter that you're never too old to try something new, and you always just have to try your best. She had me sold right there! When push came to shove, only two of us ended up being able to join, but there is another class at the "sister" studio in another town with four more people taking adult jazz (all of whom have at least five years experience--even more intimidating!).

I was extremely nervous the first class, having ZERO dance experience, but it's really been a lot of fun! After only 5 classes, the instructor approached us about performing in the June recital with her other class. My gut response was NO FLIPPIN' WAY! People show up to the recital to see their CHILDREN dance. And the self-conscious part of me wanted no part of performing onstage when the little girls with more experience than me could do a better job!!!!!! OR performing with women who actually know what they are doing (since we'll be combined with the class from the sister studio)!

The instructor asked the two of us newbies to keep an open mind for a few more weeks, practice the routine with the other four ladies a few times, and give her our final decision later. Emily is BEGGING me to include myself, while my husband is pretty adament that I shouldn't. Part of me wants no part of it, while the other part of me thinks that the whole reason I started this class was to be an example for my kids, to step outside my comfort zone and push myself, and I SHOULD perform.

Decisions, decisions!!

We had our first nearly-full group practice (one person couldn't come) and I had a great time! With 5 of the 6 of us all together, I didn't feel as much like the spotlight was on me... LOL Also, the instructor has choreographed the routine in such a way that there are three different parts happening pretty much all at once, and the part for the two of us who are brand new just isn't as complicated, yet still ties in and looks good. So I don't feel intimidated that I'm trying to keep up with much more advanced dancers on-stage; I just have to keep up with the other new dancer!!

Agreeing to perform in the recital would be extra incentive to work-out and tone this body of mine, plus, besides making me a nervous wreck, I think it would be really fun in the end, and would MOST DEFINATELY be stepping outside my comfort zone (for those of you that know me personally, you know what a creature of habit I am, and what a big STEP this would be! LOL)

If you're interested, THIS is the song we'll be performing to if I agree to participate (though we're cutting the long instrumental part out so it's not a five minute song!!)

Let's take a vote: Do I agree to perform, or no?

5 comments:

Kristina said...

Perform. Video. Post. In that order. Pretty please with sugar on top!

Kaci said...

Totally!!! =)

Shan said...

I say perform!

Cindy Lou Who said...

I totally feel for ya - I too would be mortified at doing it - but your reasons for doing it are valid and good - and I say suck it up and do it! Oh and post video! :p

debb said...

I say go for it. I was just browsing for things to read and found your blog. I love the crafts you made.

So impressive.

Have a great day!