Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Poor Charlie!

Charlie recently decided that our yard wasn't quite good enough for him any longer, and he started taking off down the back alley to our neighbor's house (home to one of his puppy brothers). We can't have Charlie running off, and it would be hard to put him on our invisible fence (the darn collar would be about as big as he is, and about as expensive, too!), but we had to come up with SOMETHING.

Another neighbor mentioned that she lets her big dog babysit her little dog by leashing them together. Her big dog REFUSES to leave the yard without her, and the little dog isn't strong enough to drag the big dog along. Problem solved. I tried it with Heidi and Charlie, and it was pure genius for about two minutes. They were playing and having a grand time, but quickly figured out they could each bite the leash and play tug-of-war and chew-toy with it, and that leash was going to be TOAST in a matter of minutes. SO, then I went out and bought a chain leash figuring they weren't going to bite through THAT.

A few weeks go by, and I was feeling very pleased and confident about how the whole thing was going. It was time to leave the house, and I opened the sliding glass door to bring Charlie back inside to put him in his crate before we left, but the dogs didn't come right up to the door like they usually do. I called Heidi's name, and she came TEARING around the corner from the side of the house to answer my call. But poor Charlie has tiny legs and can't run as fast, and was getting dragged through the dirt, whipped around the corner of the house, and I swear, caught air for a few seconds before landing in a heap at my feet, dirt/twigs/leaves sticking out of his fur. It was horrifying, but also so entirely unexpected (WHY hadn't I thought of that potential problem???), and hilarious looking, that I will admit to totally cracking up while I was checking Charlie over for injuries.

Little knucklehead was totally fine, and was scratching at the door to get right back outside as soon as I unleashed him and brought him in!!

I'm thinking MAYBE, just maybe, it's NOT such a good idea to let my big dog babysit my little dog afterall...

4 comments:

Kristina said...

That's terrible and hysterical all at the same time! I wish you had gotten that on video! You could have won $10,000 on America's Funniest Home Videos and bought Charlie a fence!

Betsy Hart said...

ROFL!!! I was just laughing out loud, as was my mom as I read it to her, hope you can figure something out!

Cindy Lou Who said...

omg - that is a funny picture you just painted!

Crystal said...

LMAO!! As sort of sad as it sounds I was cracking up just reading that. I can just imagine in a cartoon like way for this big ol' dog to be dragging a tiny dog as he FLYS through the air!