Thursday, November 5, 2009

*Shakes head*

Connor was playing in the playroom yesterday afternoon, completely absorbed in his pile of trucks (including his added dialogue and sound effects, which was totally ADORABLE!).

Charlie was scratching at the sliding glass door.

I dropped everything and took Charlie out (giving me warnings when it's time to potty/etc is a very NEW thing for Charlie, as in, only three days!).

I was outside for MAX 10 minutes (I'm guessing closer to 5).

Charlie did his business. We came back in.

I found Connor, still in the playroom, except instead of being surrounded by trucks, he's surrounded by empty candy wrappers, in small pieces, holding kid scissors, his cheeks bulging with candy.

I quickly confiscated the scissors, gathered up the candy wrappers, scolded him for taking candy without asking, and for using scissors without my supervision (he'd gotten them out of a cupboard that HAS a child-safety lock, btw). Then I hurried into another room to giggle and marvel over the "genius" of the small child to take that short window of opportunity and use it to his full advantage. I can see his little brain going now...

Mom's outside. There's the candy bowl. I can't open this candy without help. I know where the scissors are. I know how to USE the scissors. mmmmmmmm, candy... Crap, mom caught me; turn on the charm:

"I asked-ed you for a snack, but you didn't hear me cuz you were outside with Chaw-lee so I just got some candy, okay?"

I was, and still am, torn between being totally ticked off that the little sneak got into the candy and helped himself when my back was turned (well, when I was outside...), or really proud of the lengthy thought process and perseverence he managed in a short period of time.

His daddy thought it was PRETTY FUNNY when I called to share the story with him after it happened!

3 comments:

Auntie said...

It sounds very smart to me!
Not naughty at all. The little kid just wanted a snack : )

Kaci said...

What do you do starve the poor kid? LOL! Kidding! I would be torn too and giggle!

Betsy Hart said...

Sometimes you can't help but laugh at the stuff they manage to do... :) Thanks for sharing that story with us!