Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Join the club

I've officially joined the Mothers of Children Who Cut Their Own Hair club. sigh... It's not a proud moment, believe me!

Back in the day, when I was working at a local daycare, a little girl walked in with her bangs chopped off right at the roots, and she was left with a little fuzzy fringe. Apparently, she wanted to be just like Dorothy, and as you know, Dorothy doesn't have bangs.

When Emily was old enough to be mobile and somewhat verbal, I started coaching her on the idea that SCISSORS ARE FOR PAPER, NOT FOR HAIR!! I wasn't messing around with her chopping off her own hair! It got to the point where I think I could almost literally see her blood start to boil when I'd ask her, "What are scissors for?" before letting her have anything to do with scissors. SCISSORS ARE FOR PAPER, NOT FOR HAIR. The kid could probably chant the mantra in her sleep.

I'm sure I spent time chatting up Jared about scissors being for paper, but apparently I let the ball drop with Connor. Or more realistically, I told him, he didn't care, and used them for hair anyway (that whole "walks to the beat of his own drum" thing, you know?). Wouldn't be the first time that child went off and did something he'd been specifically told not to do. And before you start getting all preachy on me and wondering why I wasn't supervising my kid while he was using scissors, I'll explain how he was eating a bowl of oatmeal, with the scissors locked in the art cupboard (child proof lock), and I went and took a ten minute shower. He's sneaky. And fast. And did I mention sneaky?

Thankfully, the damage isn't horrible (took me until much later in the day before I even noticed it, but of course, it's all I can see NOW! ha!). We're able to "ruffle" his hair and cover up the bulk of the damage. So far no one has noticed it on their own (or at least hasn't spoken up and asked about it!)

Connor

Connor

3 comments:

Kaci said...

Oooo bad boy!! This is my greatest fear too!

Cindy Lou Who said...

awww...that boy is gonna test you every day, but give you the greatest joy too! Cherish these moments. One day you will look back and say I miss this...(although it's hard to see right now, believe me, I tell myself that everyday and am still waiting. LOL)

Betsy Hart said...

Just remember when you weren't sure he was even going to make it, then you will look at these days and smile, at least he's not a girl :)