Monday, April 12, 2010

MS Walk

I participated in the MS Walk over the weekend. For those of you that don't know, the MS Walk is a fundraiser to get money to help find a cure and help fund research and treatment for Multiple Sclerosis. My Aunt Sue died from complications of MS when I was a little girl, and my parents were both diagnosed with MS within 6 months of each other back in 2000. The first year I ever did the MS Walk was the year my mother had been diagnosed (but not my dad quite yet), and I walked with both my mom and one of my aunts. Some combination of that original group has walked every year since, with the addition of my mom's good friend Mary, and my cousin-in-law, Jessica the last two years. I've missed three years due to being rather heavily pregnant with each of my kids, but I'm proud of my involvement thus far, and look farward to my involvement in the future. Doing the MS Walk and raising funds helps me feel like I have a little bit of control over a situation that I truly have no control over whatsoever. I'm so thankful that both of my parents have responded well to treatment, and both lead active, normal lives (minor issues here and there).

Here is Mary, my mom, myself, and Jessica (we're loaded down with "freebies" they hand out before the walk starts)
misc

These guys took the picture of our group for us. LOL!
misc

There was a big poster set up with the words "I walk because..." listed at the top, with Sharpie pens hanging from string to allow people to sign it.
misc

We had a great time, and I look forward to next year! It was COLD (39 degrees!) with a rather biting wind, but the sun was out, the sky was blue, the crowd was energized, the scenery was gorgeous... We just made sure to have warm coats and whatnot and enjoyed the day!

3 comments:

Kaci said...

I'm still totally bummed I didn't get to contribute this year. CRY!

Cindy Lou Who said...

yea! Great job...

Betsy Hart said...

You are totally awesome! I am amazed at what you do! :) My grandma has MS too.