Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Alexander and the THNGVBD

Have you ever read this book?
Photobucket

If not, in a nutshell, this book is about a little boy named Alexander, where his entire day just sort of goes sour, one thing after another. It's funny, kids (and adults!) can relate to it, and it's a nice reminder that other people have bad days, too.

Every so often, when I feel like the day is spiraling southward, I can't help but smile and think of poor Alexander and how he "went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

Mine's been more like a bad week.

"I keep waking up in the middle of the night unable to fall back to sleep and my allergies go crazy every morning and I spend half my morning just blowing my nose and sneezing, and everytime I try to pack the kids' lunches they complain that we don't have anything good to eat, and Connor says he wants one thing for breakfast and then changes his mind after I've served him, and no one wants to do their homework and I get to be the bad guy and MAKE them do it, and even though we have shoe bins and coat hooks no one ever seems to have any idea where their shoes and coats are, and somehow that's MY fault, and I had my very first cavity and got my very first filling and I am upset and embarrassed and my dang tooth hurts now, and and AND....." I'm trying not to let this be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad week.

I need a better night's rest, more cooperative children, more hours in the day, a personal chef, a housekeeper, a daily hour-long massage, and...

Maybe I'll have to just settle for a better night's sleep because that's probably the only one I can realistically "get my hands on"! LOL!!! It's amazing what sleep can do for a person anyway!!!!

Send me sweet dream wishes, and any "get back to sleep pronto" tips you may have. I'm tired of waking up anywhere between 3-5am and being AWAKE for the day!!!!!

3 comments:

Cindy Lou Who said...

I haven't read it but it sounds super cute. I hope you get sleep soon. :o( I'm in the same boat.

Betsy Hart said...

I have had those days. Another book I find very relate-able is Mercer Mayer's "I was so mad" or something like that, with little critter?

Kaci said...

I love that book. I remember it as a kid. I should buy it.

Hope you get some sleep sister...try wine. HA!