Friday, August 29, 2008

Doors are NOT good friends to pinky fingers

Jared would agree with that statement (these were taken about five hours after the initial injury):
Photobucket

Photobucket

It's one FAT FAT FAT and BRUISED little finger, but he can bend it and doesn't complain about it, so we're convinced it's not broken. It was the ugliest thing you've seen in awhile (very flat, very very purple, all the fleshy pad twisted and squished off to one side), but it plumped back up, then swelled up, caused about 30 minutes of MAJOR DRAMA for Jared (understandably), and some serious emotional trauma for the mother, who was initially sure the finger was smashed into a zillion pieces. Thank goodness he'd had it parallel to the door instead of perpendicular. I'm convinced the end of this story would be FAR different.

J's a trooper. barely said one word about it hurting the next day. I'm pretty sure I'd have whined for several days about the pain had I shut my ENTIRE PINKY in a door and squished it flat. (oh, and to hear Jared tell it, Emily shut the door on his finger on purpose because she's REALLY MEAN, but Em says she was trying to shut the door so the other kid they were playing with wouldn't see where he was hiding for hide and seek and she didn't know his finger was there).

15 comments:

bv said...

Awwwww! Poor little guy!! My brother did this to me (accidentally) when I was 4 or 5 and it was awful. My thumb nail fell off and I was convinced quietly in my mind that I was going to die! (no drama here!)

I hope he heals up fast and remains pain free!!!

Anonymous said...

OUCH! crap that looks painful!!!

poor little fella!

Kristina said...

That does not look like fun. It's amazing how much pain there can be from such a tiny area of the body. He's a pretty tough cookie, though!

Cheryl said...

Ooooh, ouch!! Poor baby...Those things REALLY hurt no matter how old you are & especially little kids. Apparently, he's resilient & a tough little guy.

Anonymous said...

Poor Jared! OUCH.
Hugs from Auntie.

Kaci said...

OWIEEEE!! I hope he's feeling better now. WOWZERS!

Anonymous said...

poor baby!!!! Just watch it turn green, and then yellow....and rainbow it's way to healing:-)

Melissa said...

poor thing!!!!!

Unknown said...

oo OO Ouch ouch ouch, Jared come here by Mema and we'll have some ice cream to make that all better. Poor baby. How long did Mommy cry?

Cindy Lou Who said...

Ouch - my Austin did that in a car door when he was about 8. It sweeled up so bad under the nail with blood, it bent the nail bed outward and was painful. We had to have the Dr. burn a hole in the nail and drain it, then the nail fell off a few days later. He still remembers it. Lot's of ice cream makes the pain go away...LOL

Betsy Hart said...

That makes me cringe every time I look!! OUCH! And poor Emily! I feel bad for her. It stinks to be the reason for another person's injury. I once cut my sisters finger with a pair of scissors (complete accident!) and she had to get stitches!

ClancyPants said...

Bummer. Smashing fingers is never a fun game.

My mom once smashed her finger between a pallet jack and a concrete column when she was at work. The pallet jack got kindof wedged and was stuck in reverse and so it just kept smashing and smashing until someone could come and help her. It really did smash the bone into a zillion pieces and her thumb was about as flat as a tortilla. She got to have surgery and all the fun stuff that goes along with that! Ya. It pretty much sucked.

I'm SO glad that your Jared is a tough guy, his bone is still in one piece and that his finger, while swollen, is on the mend! :)

Valarie said...

Ouch!! Kyle's fingers got crushed in the door jam when he was 3. His nail fell off. It was nasty!

Munchkins and Music said...

Ouch! Looks like it hurt pretty bad! Sorry!

Jodi said...

Owie! I hope it's feeling a little better now. Poor guy.