Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Meet Olivia!

I went to the pet store with Connor and Emily the other day to get a box turtle. The pet store did not have any box turtles in stock, so we decided to look at some frogs. After looking at the frogs, Connor wanted to check out all the fish tanks just for fun, and while doing THAT, he discovered the SWIMMING turtles. The rest, as they say, is history...

I can probably count on one hand (maybe two hands, between the three kids?) the number of times I've given into one of my kids' tears, and it has always been that they pleaded a reasonable enough case, or I realized I was picking my battles all wrong. This time, it was pure heartbreak; how could I possibly walk out of that store with Connor's chin quivering and his lip stuck out a mile, while he tearfully said, "Please don't leave Olivia here (yes, he named her before we'd even left the store!) or else I'll never see her again!"

It's a bigger responsibility and expense than I had intended, but the kids have REALLY taken a strong interest in their new pet. We worried after the first day when she wasn't eating or basking, so headed back to the pet store to make sure we were doing everything correctly. Turns out, it can take up to three days before they start up with their normal routine after being moved. Sure enough, slightly over 24 hours after bringing her home, she was basking and eating.

Speaking of eating, the kids think it's hilarious to watch her eat. She swims slowly up to the little food pellets and then SNAP, eats them up. I should try to get her on video doing it.

I know, I know, enough with the chatter, get on with sharing a picture, right?

pets

pets

3 comments:

Kaci said...

Welcome to the family Olivia!!

Cindy Lou Who said...

So cute - I want one! Shouldnt there be some pebble rocks on the bottom for her to lay in?

Betsy Hart said...

I <3 her!!