Thursday, May 10, 2012

Geocaching

What can I say? I'm addicted! Last Wednesday, I was sitting in my car during Emily's ballet class, and I was puttering around on my phone when I had the *brilliant* idea to check my geocaching app to see if there were any caches nearby. There was one some 400ft away, so I dashed inside the studio, grabbed two other mom's from Em's class, and off we went on a hunt. Photobucket

On Friday, the weather looked like it was going to be pretty decent, despite the prediction of rain, so Connor and I picked up his friend Cody and we set off on a geocaching adventure! This was the first cache we found. Turns out it was a "Travel Bug Hotel" cache, so we will have to go back and check on all the traveling "bugs" periodically to see if we can be helpful on any of their missions. There were tons of muggles (non-geocachers) out and about, and the boys and I were literally hiding behind the bushes as people would walk by, so as not to give away the location of the cache. The boys thought it was FANTASTIC!
Photobucket

The second cache we tried to find was a total bust. Recent entries into the "log book" showed a low rate of success, with a few people stating they finally found it about 60ft away. I'm determined to go back with a larger group and find it. The boys were pretty bummed we didn't find that one, so I took them to another one just down the road, which I'd already found with the dance moms, so we were guaranteed a successful attempt! Photobucket

There were two more caches very nearby some errands I needed to run, so we headed out in that direction. This was our third find! Photobucket

Goofy little gnome, which Connor was thrilled with (long story short, a couple years ago Dan's aunt thought Connor liked gnomes, so she bought him one, which he then became very attached to, and now he really DOES like gnomes...)
Photobucket

Our last find of the day!
Photobucket

At some point I want to get ahold of some little trinkets so the kids can have fun leaving stuff behind in the caches, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. We also have travel bugs to register for each of the kids, but we haven't gotten around to doing THAT yet either!