Friday, August 10, 2012

Camping

We got invited to go camping with my good friend and her family (her family, her sister's family, and her parents) over this past weekend. The kids had a BLAST!

Our campsite was very near a shallow creek, so the kids got to spend a bunch of time building little dams, splashing around, etc. We let Emily bring a friend because there weren't going to be any girls close to her age (the only other girls were 15 months, 3.5 years, and 4 years old).
Photobucket

My friend's son is the same age as Connor (we met while the boys were in preschool together!)
Photobucket

Even Charlie got to come camping with us!
Photobucket

The kids all had bikes so they did a bunch of bike riding. Connor, especially, LOVED having all the extra room to ride his bike. At home, we just have a small driveway to ride circles in.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Em's bike is significantly too small, but it's too close to the end of summer to mess with it this year. It worked out well enough!
Photobucket

Who says you can't eat well while you're camping? Marinated flank steak strips and home-made fried rice. YUMMMM!
Photobucket

Speaking of food, I'll also just add in right here that the ziploc omelets were QUITE tasty, and I would totally eat them again! You take a quart sized freezer Ziploc bag, fill it with however much whipped egg you want, along with the toppings/fillings of your choice, seal it shut, then boil it in a pot of water over the camp fire or a camp stove. Took 5-10 minutes or so (especially for the more loaded ones, and we were also boiling a lot of bags at a time), but they came out great. Easy way to cook breakfast without much mess!

We took the kayaks with us, having heard there was a great beach to kayak off of there, but we only discovered miles and miles of MUCK!
Photobucket

I probably would have opted to keep Charlie at the campsite had I known ahead of time!
Photobucket

If you didn't stick to the watery pathways, you sunk it up to your knees in places. Even sticking to the watery pathways was slow-going!
Photobucket

Connor was a wild man, running all over the place, completely disregarding all the sharp shells he was encountering along the way. He regretted it later when his feet were sliced up in multiple places, but he sure had fun!
Photobucket

Charlie was NOT thrilled with any part of the beach. The other dog on the trip with us LOVED LOVED LOVED the water/mud and was prancing all around like a crazy maniac, splashing around, whipping sticks and shells into the air with his mouth, etc. Charlie just sort of stood around and looked pitiful, and resisted taking steps in certain areas. LOL
Photobucket

There was also a stage and seating area set up near our camp site, so the kids had fun putting on little shows for us.
Photobucket

Mr. Muscles working on perfecting his cartwheels
Photobucket

S'mores!! (I would have sworn I had Jared in this picture as well, but he must have JUST moved out of the shot as I was snapping the picture. I remember being really proud of myself that I managed to line them all up in there! POUT!)
Photobucket

Connor all but adopted this bag of peanuts as his own...
Photobucket

Charlie sat on my lap with his front paws resting on my thighs, and when he jumped back down, I was left with a perfect little pawprint imprinted in my skin!
Photobucket

I really thought I took a lot more pictures, but I guess I didn't! Nothing of Dan and I, nothing of our tent...

The kids have asked a few times already when we will get to go camping again. We were a little spoiled this time in that it was sort of a community food affair and we were each assigned items to bring to contribute, and everyone helped cook and clean-up. I'm sure any future attempts of camping on our own won't go quite so smoothly, but I definitely have the camping bug now!

3 comments:

Kaci said...

Looks like you guys had super fun! =)

Shan said...

Looks like it was a great trip.

Cindy Lou Who said...

looks awesome! We made it to one camping trip also.