Wednesday, January 28, 2009

How times have changed

Emily and I were talking a few days ago and she was asking me what games I used to play on the computer when I was her age. I informed her that most people didn't really have computers in their homes when I was her age. If I wanted to play a game on the computer, I had to go to the library during a rainy day recess and wait my turn to use one of the TWO computers I remember being in the school, and the games were green words or objects on a black screen. And I truly don't remember getting to play games on a computer during rainy day recesses until I was in 4th or 5th grade. She looked at me with an expression of mixed horror and shock and exclaimed, "How did you look up information then??!!??" Books at the library, little girl. Books at the library...

HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED!!!

9 comments:

ClancyPants said...

For sure. They have no idea how easy/good/spoiled they have it. Little monkeys.

Anonymous said...

I remember when the libraries got rid of the card catalogs and moved on to microfiche. I was afraid of the microfiche and boy when they put the computers in I didn't know what to do.

The only thing I remember about rainy day recess was playing in the gym and boys trying to kill me with the dodge ball.

Kaci said...

I know it's crazy...rainy days we used to play heads up seven up...LOL! :)

Cattigan said...

LOL Thanks for the trip down memory lane! Natalie showed me how to get to a certain function on my phone the other day..... when did she learn that?!?!?

Betsy Hart said...

LOL! That is so funny. Funnier their expressions then you feeling older than a rock when you talk about it!

Anonymous said...

LOL Leah!!
Ahhh the days of waiting in line to play Oregon Trail ;-)
Isn't it unreal? If we'd only known.

Unknown said...

Times sure have changed! When I was her age, there were no computers, heck I didn't get my first electronic calculator until 1976.

Cindy Lou Who said...

Oh its so funny. I try tellnig Austin about having to use Encyclopedia's and Card Catalogs. He looks at me like i'm from the Ice Age! LOL

Ashley said...

Yeah, it's SO different now it's insane! I remember playing Oregon Trail at the computer at the school library and thinking how high-tech and amazing it was. :)