Sunday, January 4, 2009

Movie Reviews

Well, for a family who RARELY (and I mean RARELY) ever EVER goes to see a movie in a theater, I've managed to see three in the span of about a week (7 or 8 days).

Marley & Me:
CUTE movie (haven't read the book, so I have no clue how well it follows the story-line there). Bring tissues. I felt there was a little more language than I would have expected for a PG movie. There was also a lot of s-e-x talk (use of the actual word, heavy make-out scenes, and implications through squeaky beds and skinny-dipping) that I worried about having to explain on the way home (kids didn't bring it up and NEITHER DID I!!). We covered little eyes two or three times, and then it ended up being that we hadn't needed to, but you just didn't know where things were going and we were being careful. LOL It had enough humor to please my husband who isn't into the romance portion of the movie...

Twilight:
I liked it! Dan and I both thought it followed the book closely enough and although some parts were a bit changed, and a lot of the build-up from the book was left out, the integrity of the story was intact. We would both love for someone who HASN'T yet read the book to go see the movie and then tell us what they thought. I wonder if certain things are very clear to someone who hasn't read the book???

Tales of Despereaux:
My kids loved it. I could do without ever seeing it again. It was cute enough, but the previews REALLY don't give you a good feel for what you're getting into and it wasn't anything like I was expecting it to be. It was what it was, but it didn't gain me as a huge fan. But again, my kids really enjoyed it, and so did my niece-to-be, and since it's a KIDS movie, I guess it's the KIDS' reviews that should really count! ha ha.

And although this isn't currently a theater movie, I just have to add that we also recently saw Wall-E and I totally don't get the hype!!!!!!!!! I felt it was extremely slow-paced and just dragged for a lot of the movie. There's very little dialogue, and while I get why there wasn't, I guess I'm a girl who likes some talking amongst the characters in movies I'm watching. I also STILL have the Wall-E voice saying "wall-e!!" stuck in my head (and my children don't help by repeating it about every 37.5 seconds). Kids love this movie. I DO NOT! However, it does have some pretty powerful messages about conserving our resources and taking care of our planet (and eating right, etc), and if the kids can pick up on the messages while enjoying the rest of the movie, then I'll give it a thumbs up, even if I don't plan to see it ever again!

PS Happy Birthday Daddy!

7 comments:

Kristina said...

I haven't seen Marley and Me yet, but I'd like to. I don't know if I can drag J with me, so I need to find a girlfriend to go! J did not read Twilight before he saw the movie, and he liked it enough to ask me if I thought he should read the book...he's now reading Eclipse. Go figure. I tell him I think he'd like tons of stuff and he ignores me. I didn't think he'd like this, and he's eating it up. I'm not terribly interested in Despereaux, so I'm glad to know you weren't a huge fan. As far as Wall-E I, too, don't get it. I was bothered by the same things you were...slow, lack of dialogue, etc. It was cute enough, but when my in-laws watched it the other day, I ended up falling asleep halfway through. It wasn't that great the first time, and apparently not the second time, either!

And, lame-o me...is the Happy Birthday to Dan?? Or your dad?? Either way, Happy Birthday!!!

Shan said...

I can't wait to see Marley and me. It probably has a lot to do with my crush on Owen Wilson. Also my girl crush on Jennifer Aniston.

And WallE, both girls love. Maya may even love it more if that's possible. I thought it was great that a movie that brown and with so little dialogue could mesmerize the kids like that. I think that's where the magic is. And of course a very important message. That's just the granola in me talking though:)

Glad you got out to the movies!

Unknown said...

Wow Leah you are like Siskel and Ebert rolled into one. Great reviews. Glitter Gurl and Newman saw Marley and Me, she cried he didn't. TOF and I saw Wall-E together and he loved it, I needed a little nappy. Still reading Twilight, I just can't sit down and read without falling asleep. So sad. Have a great Sunday!

Kaci said...

look at you miss movie goer!! Xoxo

Shauna said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Come get your free David Bowman sign print! The offer ends Mon. Jan. 5th at noon! Hope you are having a beautiful Sunday! ♥ Hugs :) Shauna

Betsy Hart said...

I so wanna see Marley, mostly cause of Shan's reasons, namely Owen and Jen. lol. And Jimmy liked Twilight and hasn't read it...

Cindy Lou Who said...

I havent seen any of the movies you listed, but the Wall-E. I know...that voice sticks forever. Cute movie, but felt the same, a little let down. The despereaux does not have my interest to see it or take the kids. I did see this weekend Eagle Eye (Awesome Movie!!) and Horton hears a Who (Amazing kid movie) so i recommend those two.