Saturday, May 23, 2009

Letter from Emily

Recent budget cuts in our school district have resulted in one of the most amazing teachers EVER TO WALK THE PLANET being "riffed" (reduction in forces) at Emily's Elementary School. She was Em's Kinder teacher last year, and was all lined up to be Jared's Kinder teacher for next year, and now we're devastated to hear the news she probably won't be around. Some teachers within the district WILL get their positions back, but it's all based on seniority (and also Kinder enrollment in this teacher's case), and it's not currently looking very good for her. I decided to write to the Elementary School, stating what this teacher has meant to my family (etc etc etc), and I typed for a full page with narrow margins to get it all to fit (*grin*). Emily asked if she could write a letter as well, and I thought it was a great idea. This is the letter she wrote (with spelling corrected):

May 15, 2009

Dear (principal's name here),
I really really love (beloved teacher's name here). If she does not come back I will not be happy. If she does come back then I will be really really really happy! I will have to be happy while I have her here. I love her a lot. She was really funny. She made learning fun. She is my first favorite teacher.

From,

Emily (last name here) (age 7)

-----------------------------

They HAVE to bring her back after reading a letter like that, right???

7 comments:

Cindy Lou Who said...

Absolutely they do! Who can say no to that? You should forward a copy of her letter to the teacher. She will really appreciate the difference she made in a child's life. Teacher's don't get thanked enough! ;o) Good Luck!

Betsy Hart said...

that is too cute. I do hope she gets her position back. That sucks bigtime

Kaci said...

Fo shiz they will! :(

Shan said...

I would totally keep her!

Missy said...

AWW!! That was so sweet of Emily!

Kristina said...

That's an awesome letter. I agree with Cindy Lou Who - send a copy to her teacher. She'll probably keep it forever. Little gestures make a huge difference! Especially in a tough time like this, where she's losing her job for no reason other than seniority and budgets. It's especially difficult in a small district like yours - I have eight years in my small district and am still at the bottom of the totem pole. I wish Ms. Super-Teacher the best.

Crystal said...

Awww...thats just too sweet, and how smart of Emily to think of writing her own letter. They may actually toss out the small margins and just skip to the cuteness! ha ha j/k
Lillys preschool teacher is also leaving, not sure of the circumstances of it though, but it's kind of sad. Sounds like alot of schools making cuts. Which is odd because I don't think we're reducing our number of kids to assist :o)