Friday, September 4, 2009

1st day of Kinder

Jared had his first day of Kindergarten this week. I've been dreading it all summer; the whole idea of another one of my "babies" entering into "big kid" school is enough to make me want to curl into a ball and bawl my eyes out. Now that's not saying that I haven't been excited for this moment as well. It's another milestone checked off a list that I hope takes another 95+ years for him to complete. It's a step further on his road to becoming a contributing citizen to society, a step towards becoming independent of me and starting his own life. It's exciting and new and I'm excited for him to get to experience it. I'm excited to share with the world the little man I've enjoyed so much these past five years.

I cried on the drive to the school Wednesday afternoon to drop him off for his first day (they normally go full day, but the first day of school, the class was split in half for easier transition, and Jared's half of the class went in the afternoon), but I reassured Jared that they were happy and proud tears. I was FINE the whole time I actually walked into the classroom and dropped him off, and FINE the whole time he was gone that day. I was even FINE the next morning (Thursday) as he got on the bus to ride to school to be gone for the day. I was FINE all morning. I was FINE FINE FINE until my husband very sweetly called from work (something that RARELY happens in the first place!) to say he'd been thinking about me and hoping I wasn't having too hard of a time with J being at Kinder all day. Que the tears...

Just yesterday, Jared was my tiny newborn baby, whom we almost immediately dubbed our "serious old man". He always had this wise and knowing look about him, and I used to desperately wish I could see what was going on in that head of his. He was a charmer right from the start, and sensitive, almost to a fault. He amazed me by speaking up to 4-word sentences at 18 months old, singing the full ABC's into a microphone in front of a crowd a month after turning two, and knowing all his letters and most of their sounds by age 3. He started learning how to ride a bike without training wheels shortly after turning 4 (mastering it before turning 5), and he can spin an elaborate tale at the drop of a hat, and reduce a room full of people to hysterical laughter with his funny observations and phrasings. He's a perfectionist, a go-getter, the best right-hand-man you'll ever find, and he's got a good eye for the ladies (*grin*). I'm jealous that I have to share him 9am-3:30pm, four days a week! Someone else gets to hear his hilarious sayings, someone else gets to see him shine... I knew when he was born I wouldn't be able to keep him forever, but I had hoped this day wouldn't have come quite so quickly. He's ready. I'm not!

J-man, spread those wings and soar the world twice over, gaining experience and knowledge to help you thrive in life, but always remember that your mama is right here cheering you on, and is so very proud of you. Keep up the GREAT work buddy, and enjoy the flight.
Jared

Jared,school stuff

Jared,school stuff

As excited as he was to get to school the first day, it was great to see him just as excited to jump off the bus, accept some balloons and a lollipop, and run for home!
kids 2009

3 comments:

Auntie said...

Wow, that was an awesome piece about your son.
You are a wonderful mother to three small children and I am very proud of all of you! LOVE YOU!

Kaci said...

Makes me cry! I just love that Jear Bear and you LL! XOXO glad he had a wonderful first day.

Betsy Hart said...

I'm with Kaci, you totally had me in tears!! :( I am glad he is enjoying school though