Thursday, December 6, 2007

I LOVE TARGET!

I can't say that enough times. I shop there at least once a week as we come across things we need (clothing items, personal care items, gifts, school supplies, etc), and the prices are within my budget and it's CLOSE. It's very very rare that I feel let down by Target.

Tuesday, I showed up and there were police cars EVERYWHERE. I counted 12 in parking spaces and there were four more circling around. My immediate thought was that something REALLY bad must have happened and was just going to turn around and leave, but then I realized people were still arriving and leaving freely from the store and no one looked panicked or hurt. So then I parked and headed in, figuring we'd take our chances at that point! After a bit of shopping, I came across a store employee and I asked what was going on. She explained that it was "Shop with a Cop Day", where a police officer picked up an underprivelidged child from school in the cop car, took them to Target, and the kids each got a $300 Target gift certificate to purchase items for their families. The gifts were then wrapped and labled by store employees. HOW FANTASTIC IS THAT?!?!

Target's gotten a lot of crap in the past for not allowing Salvation Army Santa's to collect donations outside their stores, but my opinion stands that they had a very good explanation for that decision (being approached by too many organizations and being able to fairly allow them ALL, so decided to allow NONE, for one reason), and they find other ways to support their communities by giving back to schools (when you sign-up for a Target card, you get to choose a local school and a certain percentage of your purchase gets donated to that school) and hosting the "shop with a cop day", etc.

Target gets a HUGE double thumbs up from me!!

7 comments:

Kellan said...

I was just at Target today - I love it too - got a lot of my Christmas shopping done there. I've never heard of shop-with-a-cop - how cool! Take care. Kellan

Anonymous said...

I just found out about Shop with a Cop since I moved up here. Unfortunately the kids up here use that OTHER store for the program! I love too that it involves the cooperation of so many different people.
I miss the Target in your neck of the woods. Tell it I said hello! I went to the new Costco the other day. So pretty! Who knew I'd get happy over a Costco and Target! :)LOL

Kaci said...

Cool beans!

Leah said...

that's really cool. what a great idea and a great way to show kids how fun and special it is to give to others!

Valarie said...

I just got home from Target. I am there AT LEAT once a week as well. That is so cool. I haven't heard of shop with a cop day, but what a great idea.

Anonymous said...

I love that place too!! Shop with a cop, how cool for the kids!

Kristina said...

I, too, am a Target fan. However, it's a store I find I must avoid or I run the risk of spending money I didn't want to spend. They have such great stuff that just calls to me. Loudly. In a voice that's hard to resist. I'm glad to hear about the Shop with a Cop program. I don't think they do that around here, but they should!