Thursday, October 16, 2008

Funny Story

A fellow blogger, Shellie, recently posted a story about puberty and her experience buying feminine products for the first time. It reminded me of the time I was at the grocery store with my dad (WHY this happened, I have no clue, as my mother was the one that normally did the grocery shopping...) and I needed some more tampons. I went down the appropriate aisle, grabbed the box I needed, and found my dad and tossed it into the cart. As quickly as I tossed it IN the cart, my dad tossed it right back out again, into my arms. So then I had to walk around the store with a box of tampons in my arms, trying to act very non-chalant about the whole thing. I was SO RELIEVED when it was time to check out at the register and I could put the box down. My dad took those divider sticks (you know, those ones you use to divide your groceries from the next person's?) and pushed the box of tampons further back with it, then layed the stick down between them and our other other groceries, then handed me a $20 to pay for them myself. I think it's completely hysterical NOW, but at the time, it was MORTIFYING!

My dad was also the lucky parent to be confronted with the fact I'd started my period in the first place, because it was his day off and my mom hadn't made it home from work yet. I'm not sure which one of us was more horrified, him or me!

I wonder how well Dan will handle this stuff when Em's going through it?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats funny about your dad. I love that he scooted the tampons back with the divider :) lol

Anonymous said...

*LOL* That is a hilarious story! I'm sure at the time I'd have been mortified and questioning his reasons, but as the adult perspective now I'm sure that was his was of dealing with his mortification. haha

Kaci said...

OMG mean Daddy!!! My Dad never was weird with those things, either is Jon. I don't know if that makes me lucky or not! LOL!

bv said...

That's such a great story! My Dad was always in charge of buying that stuff in our household.

Betsy Hart said...

That makes me soooo glad that my dad never took us shopping for that stuff. I think he bought it when he did the shopping, but never really with us! That is a funny story. Does he remember it?

Anonymous said...

Oh my, that was good. It played in my head like a little movie as I read it. I can picture it happening! It would be so funny to hear his take if we had the nerve to ask!

Anonymous said...

THAT IS SO FUNNY!
MY DAD FREAKS OUT ABOUT THINGS LIKE THAT...EVEN STILL!!!!

Munchkins and Music said...

That is so embarrassing! I don't think I would have walked around, I would have put it in the cart anyway.

Cindy Lou Who said...

that is so funny - i remember my mom being sick and asking my dad to drive me the 7 miles into town and buying me what I needed. Being the awesome daddy he is, he did, but looked so uncomfortable standing there, in front of all those choices....I finally walked over to one box and grabbed it and said lets go.

Married now, and asked hubby to do it for me once when I had leg surgery and couldnt get out, although I wasnt there to see, i imagine it was the same look my father had. He came home, threw the bag at me and proclaimed NEVER again would he step foot in that aisle for me ever!!!!! He said he just stood there in shock and amazement that there were so many choices, styles, kinds. He said incrediously, How many different kinds do you people need? LOL...too funny...men have it so easy...

Anonymous said...

hahaha but man you poor thing having to tote the box around the store. Shame on your dad! lol!

Unknown said...

That is a funny story! I can picture all of it LOL. Poor dad. Poor Leah!

Cattigan said...

I've been married almost nine years and Jim has never once gone to the store for me for 'product'. It's the one thing he said he'd never do and stuck with! My dad never had a problem with it- he had three sisters. I wonder if Cameron will be the same way or like his father.

ClancyPants said...

I don't think my dad would've even noticed if I had thrown them in the cart in the first place! LOL! He wouldn't care if I did. He's not easily embarrassed.

Cute story! It seems everyone is into sharing menstrual experiences on their blogs lately... weird. :P

Jodi said...

What a stinker your daddy was! Oh my gosh that is hilarious! Hee hee. Sorry!