Thursday, October 23, 2008

Well, that was fun!

I wasn't originally going to blog about this, because I like my blog to be more fun and upbeat, and I generally keep it to pictures and stories of the kids. However, this incident really upset me on many levels, so I decided to share the story and to get your take.

I was at Target on Monday with Connor while the other two kids were at school. He's all about doing everything the "big boy" way, and since I didn't have anyone else but he and I to worry about in the store, I let him walk like a big boy, instead of riding in a cart like he normally does. I just needed two things so didn't even take a basket. I just held his hand and the items we were purchasing. He was doing fantastically, until I was actually at the register paying for our items, then he was starting to try to wander off (not just a few feet away to check out the goodies behind us in the check-out aisle...He was trying to TAKE OFF), so I stuck him in front of my body, squatted down enough that my knees slid through under his armpits and pinned him in place in front of me. He, of course, loudly expressed his displeasure at being held in place, but I wasn't going to risk him running off and getting lost, stolen, or managing to get outside and being run over by a car. This woman comes running up to me, "YOU'RE HURTING HIM! MA'AM! YOU'RE SQUISHING HIM! LET HIM GO!!! CAN'T YOU SEE YOU'RE HURTING HIM!" I was sooooooooo taken aback and said something like, "he'll run off if I move my legs" and she starts in LOUDLY about it being child abuse and people like me shouldn't be allowed to have kids, and my poor POOR little boy having to tolerate horrible behavior from his mother (blah blah blah). I looked at her and said, "My knees are under his armpits on either side of him, he's not being squished, and I'm going to do whatever it takes to keep my kid from running off and ending up out in the street getting hit by a car, and if you think that's child abuse, YOU'RE CRAZY, LADY!" I grabbed up my purchases and Connor and headed towards the door and she hollers after me how she should really call and report child abusers like me. At this point, LOTS of people are staring because of all the commotion of the lady yelling about child abuse and Connor screaming his head off, and I'm sure some of them probably thought I really WAS abusing him!!!! I was so upset I was SHAKING when I got back to my car!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't hit him, didn't smack him, didn't kick him, didn't throw him around, didn't shake him, didn't scream at him...NOTHING. I simply placed him in front of my body between me and the check-out counter, and used my legs to keep him from running away. I kept my legs wedged tight enough against his sides to keep him from sliding down onto the floor and being able to take off, but there was so SQUISHING of my child involved. He wasn't hollering because I was hurting him, he was hollering because I was making him stand in one place next to me.

Here I thought I was being a good parent, keeping my child safely with me, not allowing him to mess up display shelves, or run willy-nilly through the store. Here I thought I was being a good parent, allowing my child the freedom of being on foot, to be able to learn how to behave in a store and to stay by mommy when requested. Here I thought I was being a good parent, coming up with a calm solution to a tantruming, flight-risk of a two year old.

What do you think? Was I wrong to use my legs on either side of Connor to keep him close while I was paying for our purchases?

14 comments:

Kaci said...

XOXO obviously that chick doesn't have kids or she does and she's a nut case. :)

ClancyPants said...

No freakin' way. You are totally fine. I am so sorry that you had to go through that. People are so ready jump on someone for any little thing because it's so much easier than looking at themselves... so much safer for them. She probably has some serious issues that she is terrified to look at so she goes around the world screaming at other people for a their problems, real or imagined.

I know what you mean about shaking when you got to the car. I had an experience like that one time (sort of like it). Maybe I'll tell it someday.

I hope you are able to let it go and be confident in your position as Connor's mother. You have every right to keep him with you and safe and that lady didn't bother to asses the situation before she reacted. Kaci's right... psycho lady!

Betsy Hart said...

I still think that woman is PSYCHO! Its just sad that someone feels the need to push their nose into your businsess and say things like that, not just to you, but half the store. I bet she doesn't even have kids... JERK!

Cindy Lou Who said...

Dont worry about it Leah, dont let her get to you. You are an excellent mom and you did what you knew to work with your child, you know him better then some stranger lady who thinks she can judge the whole scene in a 30 second glance and make a bigger scene by screaming. Your gut instinct is always right when it comes to a mother and her child. Stand firm in your beliefs. XOXO

Betsy Hart said...

Oh yeah, tag your it!

Anonymous said...

I think you did everything absolutely right. I mean seriously that lady was crazy. I can't believe she came up to you and went off like that. *hugs*

Unknown said...

Don't worry about it Leah, just shake it off. This woman was obviously off her meds.

Kellan said...

No - you were not wrong!! This woman was out of line and obviously a bit of a lunatic to be yelling like that at anyone. If she had concerns, she could have just as easily have done so quietly - behaved rationally. I can see why you were upset and shaking - I'd have been too - ANGRY! Don't let it get to you - you were not in the wrong and some people need to settle down and be careful what they say and what they do. Don't worry about it!

Take care - Kellan

Anonymous said...

no freaking way! I'm sorry!!!
I got all shaky just reading that.

Erika said...

I agree that makes me crazy for you. She really needed to back off. Makes you wonder what some people are thinking. You are a great mom!!

Valarie said...

Oh my gosh. You should hear the comments I get when I go into a store with my four and my niece in tow. People like to voice their opinions. People are stupid. I'm guessing the people in the store were staring because of the crazy lady yelling at you, not because they thought you were abusing him. If I were you, I would have said something like "Well, if the world weren't full of crazy people like you, I wouldn't have to be so worried and be pinning him down to keep him from wandering off. Thank you very much and have a nice day, you nosey psycho."

Anonymous said...

You are a WONDERFUL mom Leah!
It's just sad that there are physcho people in this world like that, that cause us to doubt ourselves even for a moment. People just don't think before they speak and realize the impact they may be having on someones feelings.
You couldn't of been more in the right!

bv said...

Don't let people like that make you questions yourself as a person or a parent. People will always have their own perceptions but that does NOT make them right.

I'm sorry that this was so dang upsetting.

Shan said...

That woman was clearly off her rocker! I'm sorry you had to go through that.