Monday, February 2, 2009

Cinderella turns into Sleeping Beauty

Emily and Dan attended a Father/Daughter Ball over the weekend. From what I hear, Emily had a BLAST!! Dan said she danced and danced and danced for the first two hours and then finally tired out and spent the last half hour socializing instead. Emily informed me that she and Dan danced to "My Girl", and that she requested it from the DJ (Dan begs to differ about her requesting it, but says it's possible...LOL). She was especially excited that they danced like REAL dates and she had her arm stretched up high to be on his shoulder and he had his hand on her back. She was SOUND ASLEEP when they got home, but perked up while I was getting her into bed and jabbered on and on and about how she can't wait to do it again!!

About three hours beforehand, we started doing her hair (I'm no expert, so it can take awhile sometimes, and I wanted to leave plenty of time for error, AND time to prepare dinner and give Dan and Emily time to eat the meal):
Emily,hair-do's

some mug shots...LOL
Emily,hair-do's

Emily,hair-do's

All of the curls were supposed to be pinned up in a "messy bun", but she changed her mind at the last minute and wanted them hanging down. I made the little blue bows with streaming ribbons myself to match her dress, and would have left the streaming ribbons longer if I'd known at the time her hair wasn't going to be all pinned up...

Here's my little Cinderella!
Emily,fun events

Recognize that dress? It's her Flower Girl dress from this past summer, her bride dress from this past October, and now her ball gown (best $32 I ever spent!!). I purchased the big blue rose pin from JoAnn Fabrics and some spools of matching ribbon and created the decoration on the front of the dress to change it up a bit. I think I spent $10 altogether (and have tons of ribbon leftover, too). I think it turned out pretty darn cute, and Emily loved it!

Here's Cinderella with her daddy
Emily,fun events

daddy being silly...
Emily,fun events

Then there's a big chunk of time where myself and my camera were not in attendance so you will have to use your imagination of how things looked... ha!

Here's how it ended: Cinderella turned into Sleeping Beauty
Emily,fun events

Emily,fun events

Dan brought her sleeping self into the house and laid her down on her bed and she didn't move a single muscle. LOL!! I had her half undressed before she actually woke up.

PS They did pose for professional pictures, which are supposed to get mailed to our house at some point. Dan didn't think to have them mailed to his parent's house and our dog tends to eat packages from time to time, so I'm going to have to put a note on the door for the next few weeks saying "Please do not feed the animal". ha ha! Just kidding, but I will have to leave a note asking the mailperson not to leave anything on the porch.

PPS Those ribbons in her hair were a CINCH to make, and I'm quite pleased I thought of making them! I simply tied a bow out of some ribbon, then slipped a bobby pin through the knotted portion of the bow in the back, then looped a long piece of trailing ribbon through as well so that two ends hung down. Then I stuck the bobby pin into the base of her ponytail, adjusted the angle of the bow,and stuck a second bobby pin through the base of the ponytail so it crossed over the first one and held everything nicely in place. EASY, and really gave her hair-do a nice finishing touch. I used fray check on the ends so they wouldn't unravel, and if I'd thought about the ribbon idea earlier in the day, I also would have taken a needle and thread and done a quick stitch through the ribbon knot to ensure that nothing would come undone... Something to think about for next time!

9 comments:

Kristina said...

I'm glad they had fun! And I'm loving it that she has gotten so much use out of that one dress. It still amazes me to listen to my teenage students talking about "needing a new dress" because they've already worn theirs to a dance. Just add a ribbon, and instant new dress!

Anonymous said...

How precious! Dan is a good sport. She looked beautiful as usual and you did an awesome job with her hair and dress. I'm just trying to imagine how this "real" dance happened with the size difference lol.

Kaci said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Can't wait to see the other pics too! I can't wait for Jon and El to do stuff like this!! =>

Anonymous said...

That was the cutest post ever!!!

Cindy Lou Who said...

OMG - where do I start? You are so creative and crafty! I love the dress, the hair, the hair ribbons, you think of everything! Great job, and so glad to hear Dan and Emily had a great time.

Betsy Hart said...

She looks so adorable! I love daddy daughter pictures. Those take the cake Leah.

Anonymous said...

So, So Sweet!! I'm so glad that Emily and Daddy had such a good time! YAY!!!

She looks beautiful.

Unknown said...

Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, makes no difference, Princess Emily is beautiful! Stay away boys until she gets bigger.

Shan said...

Oh my gosh! You are brilliant! Emily was just beautiful. What a wonderful night.