Friday, February 6, 2009

One seriously proud mommy!

I was at the kitchen sink yesterday afternoon waiting on the water to warm for Grace's bottle (I babysit her every Thursday). Jared and Connor were watching "a kid show" (that's what my kids call cartoons) and Emily was on the computer doing some math stuff for school. Connor started messing with the remote control and changed the channel, and I called over to Jared to please turn it back to a kid show. About a half hour later, Jared came up to me, patted me on my arm, and told me very seriously, "We need to take pajamas to the mattress store because I don't want friends to be cold and alone." Not having watched much TV lately, I was a little clueless as to what he was talking about, but assured him that friends would be fine and he was a very sweet boy to be concerned. I'm ashamed to say I didn't think much about it after that, being distracted with babysitting and dinner prep and my neck pain, etc. However, while watching ER last night, I caught a Sleep Country USA commercial, asking people to donate pajamas and socks and underwear so foster kids don't have to feel cold and alone. Tears welled up in my eyes when I realized what Jared had been talking about earlier in the afternoon, and how one short commercial made a BIG impact on my little boy. It just so happens that we have two pairs of girl pajamas I'd purchased for Emily that are too big. Instead of returning them as planned, I'm taking Jared to the nearest Sleep Country USA store today and letting him put those pajamas in the donation bin for the foster kids. I want to make sure to follow through with his concern and to encourage his caring and generosity. Let me tell you that I am one seriously proud mommy, and I'm also very thankful that Connor was a stinker and started messing around with the remote control at just that moment. It's a nice reminder to myself as well, that even in these hard times, there are other people, other CHILDREN, who have it far harder than myself or my kids can even begin to imagine.

Will you be out shopping soon (and you live in WA or OR)? Why not pick up a pair of children's pajamas and donate them to foster children at your local Sleep Country USA.

per the website:

A child’s bedtime should be a time to feel safe, warm and protected. For more than 26,000 Northwest foster children, separated from family and friends, nights can feel long and lonely. To help make those nights a little cozier, you can help by collecting pajamas for foster kids big and small. Bring your gift of new pajamas, packaged socks and underclothes to any Sleep Country and they’ll be matched with a local foster child in need. Help make a foster child’s night a little cozier with a gift of new pajamas and you’ll sleep better too!

The pajama drive goes through February 15th.

CLICK HERE to find the store nearest you.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Jared is a very thoughtful boy. Good job mom and dad.

Cindy Lou Who said...

Oh what a great story! I love it!

Way to go Jared...

Kaci said...

Awhhh he is soooo sweet and caring. What a great memory for him to cherish as well.

Cattigan said...

Huge pat on the back for you and big hug to Jared!

Betsy Hart said...

Now that you have the pregnant lady crying again! I am proud of him too. Thanks Leah for sharing that story with us. :)

Anonymous said...

He's so sweet!

Anonymous said...

One very proud Grandpa too.

Love
Grandpa Dan

Anonymous said...

One very proud Grandpa too.

Love
Grandpa Dan

Are You Serious! said...

♥ What a sweet boy! It's amazing how fast kids pick up on things. :)