Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A whale of a tale

Connor has spent the last several months telling us all about his friend Drake, and all of the things he does at Drake's house, what Drake is allowed to do, etc. Which is super cute, and almost always hilarious, considering he's never been to Drake's house... Drake is a real friend from preschool last year, and is in Connor's preschool class again this year, but beyond being classmates from January-May, and attending each other's birthday parties, that's about as far as it goes in reality.

I can't decide if Connor's conversations about Drake are sort of imaginary friend type stories (Emily had an invisible friend!), or if it's all just wishful thinking, or if he's having vivid dreams at night and is retelling??? I'm stumped!

When we're in the car, Connor will pipe up about Drake having cows at his house. Or if I tell him he can't take food back to his bedroom, he informs me at his friend Drake's house they're allowed to take food into bedrooms. And he's supposedly been on the roof at Drake's house, and has supposedly done other dangerous things along those same lines. His number one argument always starts with, "WELL, at my friend Drake's house..." He tells me about strange things he's eaten, big-time bogus things he's done, etc.

Part of me thinks that maybe because Emily and Jared have stories to tell about being at friend's houses that Connor just wants in on it as well, but then you look at how SERIOUS he is, and how much he'll fight you if you call him on the tall tale. He will INSIST that YES, HUH, he HAS TO been on the roof at "Drake-ez" house(or whatever the case may be). So then we're back to the "I'm stumped" problem.

ahhh, to try and pick the brain of an imaginitive and stubborn three year old... LOL!

"Got a whale of a tale to tell you lads, a whale of a tale or two!
'Bout the flapping fish and the girls I've loved
on nights like this with the moon above
A whale of a tale and it's all true, I'll swear by my tattoo..."

Sorry, after typing the title, I got the song stuck in my head and felt it was only fair to get it stuck in yours as well! muh ha ha hahaha! (that's evil laughter in case you weren't sure...). And if you don't know the song, then you, my friend, haven't listened to enough Disney soundtrack CD's, or seen enough old Disney movies and you should CLICK HERE to hear it.

2 comments:

Betsy Hart said...

I love the tall tales! I have a tale teller myself. Except all her stories start with "Last night" LOL! I can't wait to hear more Connor stories. :)

Cindy Lou Who said...

so cute - sounds like he named his imaginary friend after someone he knew. dont forget to write it down in his baby book - you'll forget all these cute stories some day!