Tuesday, February 12, 2008

How Embarrassing!

A recent posting over at Confessions of a Pioneer Woman requested we share our most embarrassing moments so she didn't feel alone. I got several new viewers out of posting mine in a comment, so I thought it worth posting HERE as well. But the rule is, if you take the time to read about mine, you must must MUST be prepared to share YOURS as well. It's only fair, right?

here goes:

When Emily had just BARELY turned two, she and I were at one of my OBGYN appointments. They were running extremely behind schedule and the snacks and toys and books I'd brought along to entertain Emily had long since lost their appeal and she was slowly but surely turning into a MONSTER. This was like a week or two before Jared was born, so I was HEAVILY pregnant. They sent me back to leave a urine sample, and while we were in the bathroom, Emily was doing her best to make a royal pest out of herself. Trying to unroll the toilet paper, trying to dig through the garbage, messing around with the stack of little cups they had sitting on the counter (for said urine samples), rifling around through the basket of feminine pads they had set out for "your convenience", etc etc etc. I was batting her hands away as best I could, all the while giving a urine sample. Just as I was finishing up, she made one last mad dash for the garbage, so I hauled up my elastic-waisted maternity pants as fast as possible, flushed the toilet in the same motion, then washed my hands and hauled the screaming child out of the bathroom (she was VERY upset I was foiling her plans of destruction and exploration). I had to go back out in the waiting room to continue waiting for a room to open up for us, and I had to walk alllllll the way to the back of the room to get an empty seat. I collapsed into the seat and heard a weird crinkling sound and stood back up expecting to see a magazine or something. Nothing there. Little feelings of dread began oozing into me at that point and I reached behind me, desperately hoping I was wrong. But alas, I was right, and there, hanging out of my elastic-waisted maternity pants, was the toilet seat cover, which in my rush to pull my pants up, I had grabbed up as well. And the whole room FULL of people had seen my walk by. And several people were giggling and pointing. I grabbed it out, stuffed it into the diaper bag, forced Emily onto my lap and opened up one of the books we'd brought and desperately hid behind it until they called me back for my actual appointment. I can laugh about it NOW, but at the time, it was all I could do not to cry from being so embarrassed!!!!

7 comments:

Kaci said...

Pooooor Leah!!! Once during gym class while doing sit ups I totally farted loud and everyone around me lauuuughed and said ewwww gross STOCKS!!! ACK!! I was so humilated.

Kellan said...

Oh MY Goodness!! That was embarrassing!! Poor thing! Funny story though! Take care - Kellan

Anonymous said...

This old auntie has you beat.
I was at the Hi-U (restaurant-bar)
as we were meeting friends for lunch and then carpooling to the Clearwater for a weekend get away.
I went potty, came out of the restroom, walked clear across the bar, felt "something" as I was tucking my shirt in (in the back), and felt TOILET PAPER. Just as I felt it, Mary who was sitting on the end of the bar, came running to me to tell me I had a toilet paper tail hanging out my pants! I quickly put my backside into the corner and rolled it all into the back of my pants! I about died. Mary about died LAUGHING. Her husband can't even catch eye contact with me any more! I had to go back to the bath room and unload the ROLL I rolled up and hid. It was not SHORT and the bar was FULL. My face was so red.
It's red now thinking of it! Yikes.

Anonymous said...

ummm... wow.

priceless.

Melissa said...

ROFL! OH NO! ROFL! That was definitely laugh out loud funny. . . now, but I definitely not when it was happening!

Betsy Hart said...

ok, I swear I commented on here yesterday, anyway, I couldn't think of an embarassing moment, my mind tends to blank the really bad ones out (maybe to protect my sanity?) Anyway. I am clumsy, very clumsy and I was pulling a rolling rack full of clothes from the backroom to the sales floor. Well as I was rounding the corner I not only hooked the leg of the rack on a pole but tripped on the rack and ran into the door... a fellow associate was behind me and was laughing so hard she could hardly help me up.... Then there was the time I tripped on NOTHING and landed in the middle of the room at my in laws (before they KNEW what a klutz I am... Lol.

Anonymous said...

Oh - I totally read that story on PW and didn't even know it was you! I left mine there too...I'm the "nothin finer then a cowboy" commenter. Too funny!
Cindy