Friday, February 1, 2008

Muddy Socks, Crazy lighters, and Multiple Ads, OH MY!

Em's been home sick almost this entire week, so I had her working on some writing exercises like they do in class so her brain doesn't turn to mush. While she was working, I picked up a Parents magazine and skimmed through. I haven't read through one in a good year, for pure lack of time, but I'd paid for the subscriction for years in advance (super cheap!) so it keeps coming anyway. LOL I almost NEVER even look twice at the ads, but a few caught my eye yesterday.

The first one, while at a first glance seems like a very good idea, upon a split second further thought, seems really ridiculous! I mean, SERIOUSLY, how lame are we that we have to buy a bendy-head lighter instead of just lifting up our arm an extra four inches to aim a straight-head lighter down into a jar candle?
Photobucket

The second one, I laughed briefly at, thinking, "How often are kids running around outside in their socks, and what lame mother wouldn't notice her kids heading out the door that way?" But then I remembered that not too many months ago, we'd babysat my friend's 2.5 year old overnight. She arrived to pick him up the next morning and about 15 minutes after she arrived, we realized that David wasn't playing in the same room as the other kids. Upon further investigation, we discovered him running around in the backyard in just his socks. And it had recently been raining. So, thank goodness for Clorox Bleach, and you just never know when this ad might apply to you, too! (and I claim "off the clock!" since his mom had arrived!! LOL)
Photobucket

The last one has four parts, so I'll show the picture first:
Photobucket

1. I laughed at bit at the ad labled (1) because it seemed like a waste of money. It's a window-cling that is temperature sensitive and the little person is shown wearing the appropriate clothing for what the temperature outside is. HOWEVER, I started thinking about all the times my older two have come and asked me if it's a cold day or a warm day, so they'd know what sort of clothes to choose to wear. If a window-cling will show them what style of clothing they should wear for the day, and give them that independence of not having to ask me all the time, I'm all for it (assuming it works, that is...)

2. I get REALLY carsick 9 times out of 10 when I'm the passenger in a vehicle, so those "pretty" motion-sickness wristband things sound pretty neat. I wonder if they come in adult sizes? And I wonder if they actually work? LOL

3. Butt Paste! We have that stuff! The packaging says something about a pleasent smell, and I'm here to say, it really does have a pleasent smell! Seems to work pretty darn well, too.

4. Notice the peacefully sleeping baby on the package for the swaddle blanket? Then notice the expression on the baby's face demonstrating the use of the swaddle blanket. His/her expression clearly says, "what the heck are you doing to me?", in my opinion, anyway...

6 comments:

Kaci said...

LOL!! I love you Leah!! You always make me chuckle!

Kellan said...

I have 4 kids that all run around outside with their socks on - their mom does too - tee hee!! We use a lot of clorox in my house. Cute post Leah - Have a great weekend. Kellan

Valarie said...

Yeah, I agree with Kellan. My kids (and I) are ALWAYS outside with just our socks on. Clorox is my best friend. Along with Butt paste. Although, I can remember thinking that I liked the smell the first time I used it, but now I have associated it with diaper rash which in turn I associate with poop....so the smell has lost it's appeal.

Anonymous said...

What the heck is butt cream?
I can't read small print.
I am not sure why, but I have never been able to get socks clean with clorox. My kids always had dirty white socks. Me too.
I even tried boiling water and oxyclean. NO luck. And nobody walked around outside! What does that say for my floors! Sheesh.
And your mother used to wrap you up tight with your arms inside like a little bug in a rug!

Shan said...

Oh that's funny, but I could use those motion sickness bands. Maya gets car sick after about 20 - 30 minutes in the car.

Melissa said...

You know, I use the Butt Paste too, but I don't think it smells good at all. . .

I need to check out the wrist bands. We give Megan dramamine on carrides, but it makes her really out of it and super super cranky until it wears off. The issue with Megan would be whether or not she actually leaves the wristband on. She won't keep regular bracelets on. . .