Wednesday, March 12, 2008

*CRY*

I had to tell Emily Grace tonight that her best friend in the whole wide world, whom she's known since she was only 15 months old, is moving to Florida as soon as the end of June. She immediately asked me if that was further than Pittsburgh, and I said that it was. It was THEN that the poor little thing BURST INTO TEARS because she knows how far Pittsburgh is (Dan's extended family lives there) and how it's hard for us to get there very often because of how expensive airfare is. Knowing Florida is even further away broke her little heart because she knew that meant she wasn't going to see Rachel very often. She doesn't remember NOT knowing Rachel!! I spent a good half hour with her SOBBING in my arms trying to calm her down and hyping up that it's a great move for Rachel's family because they get to move back to where Rachel's daddy has family, and that Rachel's daddy gets to have a better job, etc. All the while my heart is hurting for her pain. The real kicker is that Rachel is taking her mother with her when she moves, and her mother is MY dearest friend, so I feel Emily's pain just as strongly. All I can say is THANK GOODNESS FOR LONG DISTANCE PHONE PLANS, EMAILS, and YAHOO INSTANT MESSANGER, as I'm sure all three will be getting plenty of use. Those of you in Florida, keep an eye out for Kerry, Carole, and Rachel, and give them a warm welcome and take care of them for us... They're a fantastic family and we're going to miss them lots and lots (*wiping tears from my eyes*). Carole's under strict orders to purchase a house with a guest bedroom large enough for five people to come visit every few years or so...LOL!! Dan's always joking he wants to go winter in either Florida or Arizona. Well, now we can vacation during the winter in Florida more realistically (this is me trying to be more optimistic).

Carole, you know how much you'll be missed, but I know this is the right move for your family and I wish you alllllll the best.

10 comments:

Kaci said...

I'm so sorry :( My heart breaks for both of your family!

Jen said...

I'm so sorry Leah. Is there anyway you can hold a family pet hostage until they change their minds?

kimmy said...

That must be so hard. I had to do that for my daughter a few years ago when her best friend moved to North Carolina. But, they ended up moving back to Maine last summer and their friendship was still as strong as the day she left. Good luck!

Kimmy

Maria said...

That's so sad. My son has gone through that with every best friend (except one) so far! His last best friend's mom casually mentioned that they were moving to florida one day when I was dropping off my son at their house, and would I be able to help watch their youngest son while they're getting ready! My son was in shock! Luckily he still talks to him on the phone all the time. Instant messenger is a great idea! I know your daughter doesn't understand now, but she will make so many other friends! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Does Carole have a blog so we can keep up on her and Rachel?

I am so sad for you and EG : (
If June moved I think I'd crawl
in a hole and not survive it.
After 38 years of being BFF it
would be impossible to find another.

Betsy Hart said...

Leah I am so so so sorry. That just sticks big time.... I hope you get lots of quality time with them and lots of pictures for the girls to keep. You could even make photobooks for each of the girls to remember each other with, and make them be pen pals, its always fun getting mail.... Trying to be optimistic while crying for you! HUGS!

Shan said...

Oh how heartbreaking.

Abby came home sobbing last week because her little friend is moving. As it turned out the parents are only talking about moving within our school district. A little bit of five year old miscommunication there luckily. She was so broken hearted at the time. It's a tough one.

Kellan said...

Oh, this is a hard time for all of you! I had a dear friend move to Utah a few years ago and I know how you feel. We DO stay in close touch, though - you just have to always make sure you never lose touch! I'm sorry they are leaving, but wish them the best and you and your family too.

Take care - Kellan

Valarie said...

Poor girl. Email has made it easier to keep in touch long distance, but it is still really hard. Florida is a great place to visit. Maybe if you remind them about the alligators, they'll change their minds and not move here. :)

TheOneTrueSue said...

Waaaaaah! I'm tearing up in empathy...