Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Made-up words

My friend Kristina recently had a GREAT blog entry ( click here ) about the language of families and their use of real, or made-up words. I chuckled to myself the whole way through the entry because it was clearly about MY KIDS (it wasn't, but it could have been!). Emily, especially, has perfected the art of using her own made-up words. It started when she was just a little thing and was banging on the sliding glass door yelling "OOT!" at the top of her lungs and very clearly wanting OUT. And "baba" was baby, bellybutton, and our cat. "Dada" was daddy, grandpa, and the dog... I think she's probably in the norm here as most babies just say what they can to get their point across. But then we fast-forward a chunk of time and we find ourselves eating "panacakes" for breakfast instead of pancakes. Her dress-up shoes are "hee hiles" instead of high heels... And daddy uses the "mow lawner" instead of a lawn mower. Hand sanitizer, at our house, is referred to as "hanitizer". It's another "Emilyism" and it was catchy and stuck, we all use it, and hey, it works! And I can't leave Jared out. His Fruit Pursuit flavored toothpaste is "Fruit Surpoot." He tries so hard... LOL I'm sure there are more, but I'm trying too hard and not coming up with anything so I'll leave this as is for now... Well, I should quickly add Connor just so he's not totally left out of things. Everything is "yeah" "blup" "uh" and "Hiiiiiii" (very enlonged "hi"). So there ya go! Oh, or as of today, everything is "DA DA DA DA DA!" Very enunciated and LOUD. LOL!

edited to add:

From my Auntie's comment, it reminded me that Emily used to always say "Hold you" when she wanted us to hold her. Like Auntie said, we never corrected her on it because it was sooooo cute!

I also need to add that my friend Martha used the word "wonky" one day during an IM conversation and it stuck in my head and I use it all the time now. Wonky is used for something that's messed up, not quite right, out of place, etc. Today, my friend Lacy's car was wonky because it kept telling her a door was ajar and beeping, no matter how many times we opened and slammed all the doors... LOL I think it's such a fun word to use! LOL

I came up with a few more late last night with another friend (Michelle) but I forgot them again! OY!

4 comments:

MSuparat said...

Awww...cute! We only have one here right now. "Snizzers", as Jack says, instead of scissors! lol I haven't said it on purpose, but caught myself a couple times accidentally just today saying that! lol

Anonymous said...

Tyler had some great ones...
Hatboy for cowboy, blanick for
blanket, hamburger was hangaber...
My favorite "Mir" word was
hold you me, for hold me. I never
corrected her as it was SO cute
but of course she finally stopped saying it.

Unknown said...

aww FUN...I think we all have many...The only one I remember from MY past is Hambooger instead of hamburger or TURCH for Chruch!LOL....Kid-ism's are great!

Melissa said...

Megan says "Hold you" when she wants me to hold her, and "by you" when she wants someone to sit by her.
I don't know about other words, but they have changed my SIL's boyfriend's name to Cott instead of Scott. And now we all catch ourselves calling him Cott. LOL!