Tuesday, September 2, 2008

At least Jared has some common sense!

Jared is the only one of our children who HASN'T gotten his head stuck in the railing that runs along a portion of the livingroom (playroom) that separates it from the diningroom.

Emily got stuck when she was 3.5
Photobucket

At first, it was pretty funny, but then five minutes later, I still hadn't managed to get her out. Then another five minutes later and she STILL wasn't out, and it had stopped being funny at all. She was in hysterics, bawling something along the lines of being stuck there forever and dying; I was tearfully calling Dan at work asking if I should call 911 because NOTHING was working. The poor kid had DEEP purple marks on the sides of her head where I was trying to shove her head back through. I turned her head this way and that, got some butter from the fridge and greased her up...NOTHING WORKED. In the end, I went outside and got the pruning sheers and cut one of the railings out, and out she came!! Unfortunately, the railing has never been the same and almost 3 years later, we still haven't figured out replacing that slat, or building a half wall around the railing. I told the story on an online mommy group I was a part of at the time, and one of the ladies politely informed me that I probably should have just pulled her the rest of the way through instead of trying to shove her back the way she went in.

Lucky for me, I remembered that helpful tidbit, so when Connor got HIS head stuck a few days ago, I knew just what to do! (so no further damage to the railing!!)
Photobucket

I turned his shoulders so they'd fit through and slipped him the rest of the way through.

It still blows my mind that a kid can slide their head through, but not be able to pull it back out!!

18 comments:

Kaci said...

You should pose Jared just for the fun of it! LOL!

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!


that is just to flipping funny....i know it probably hurt your poor kids' heads...but i just cain't help but to laugh!!!!!!

Erika said...

That is so funny! I have not had to deal with that yet. I can imagine the panic Emily was in while you were trying to get her out though!

Anonymous said...

ooohhhhh man. that is sooo funny. getting the camera out is EXACTLY what I would have done....hee...heee....

Melissa said...

I have done that myself when I was younger with our back deck.

bv said...

Awww! Poor kids, Poor railing and Poor Mom!!!

Dude, Emily's hair is to die for!!!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry I have to laugh, because not one hour ago, TOF got his head stuck between the fridge and a wall. I didn't think to take a picture, he was hysterical. He's all better now and napping, amazing what an M & M will fix.

Munchkins and Music said...

So true! I don't know how they can get through and not get out. It's a mystery...

Betsy Hart said...

That is really quite funny. Must have been before I started? But I LOVE that you got C out without any further injury! LOL!

Are You Serious! said...

♥ I don't know if I would have thought to just push through the rest of the way! Good job you! :)

Anonymous said...

That is funny, although I remember the episode when Emily did it, and that was a little more stressful. Good that you can laugh now!

Kristina said...

I sure hope you didn't just jinx yourself and Jared! Knock on wood right now! And good for you keeping your cool and remembering a random tip from a long time ago!

Kellan said...

We have these covers in our yard for the sprinkler zones - these round covers with these little tiny holes in the top to put your finger in to open the cover. Every time I open one of those sprinkler covers, there is a huge frog in there. My husband says they go down that little hole - I don't believe it - he says it's true - HA! Cute post and I too would have gone for the sheers - never would have thought to pull them through - tee hee! Cute pictures!

Take care - Kellan

Jen said...

OMG HA! That's so funny

Jodi said...

I have decided that the reason they can't pull it back out is because their heads must get swollen from all the crying and the mashing we do to try and get them out. (My theory probably isn't right, but I'm sticking to it 'cause I can't figure it out either). I'm glad you were able to solve the problem and get him out. That was a smart idea. I'll keep that one in mind (because I know Olivia will be trying that one soon). :0)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, poor Emily (and I don't say Jared for the reason that his was a smooth escape). But it's funny that you have the pictures for each of them.

Anonymous said...

Oops I just read this post again. I should have written Conner not Jared. I need to read more carefully. ;)

Cheryl said...

Funny how groups of Mommies can calmly tell you a solution "after the fact" & after they've thought it through & are not panicking at the time, huh? (Probably they had already gone through it & didn't want to look dumb.) FUNNY!