Monday, September 15, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes

So remember how I mentioned about Emily's incident with the teeter totter a few days ago? Well shortly after we got her calmed down, Emily started expressing concern over what people would think about her fat lips. Being funny (for my benefit more than Emily's), Dan joked that she should tell people that mommy beats her. My reply was something along the lines of, "Yeah right! You're the one that launched her off the teeter totter!" We both proceeded to inform Emily that it was NOT okay to joke around about being beat and then that was the end of it. OR SO WE THOUGHT.

On the way home from the bus stop the other day, she starts giggling like crazy and tells me that she wrote in Writer's Workshop about losing her tooth because daddy beat her. I ran home and called the school and left a message for her teacher explaining the real story and asking her to please call me if she had any further questions. Her teacher calls back laughing and said that Emily had shared the real story earlier in the day, so she wasn't concerned. HOWEVER, not only did Emily write "I lost my tooth because daddy beat me" on her paper, she READ IT TO THE CLASS!!! Her teacher asked her to please write the real story on a second page.

I called Dan and told him he'd better not joke around about that sort of thing anymore because that could have been really bad!!! aughhhh!!!

16 comments:

Cattigan said...

My cousin had to have knee surgery due to childhood RA as a little girl- she had to stay in the hospital and had a full leg cast. Her nurse mother (in a lab coat) and her were in an elevator at the hospital. A woman asked Tracy what had happened. Tracy responded by telling the woman her mother stabbed her. Out of the mouths of babes!

Cheryl said...

I laughed when Jodi told me that the other day! Only kids...so sweet & yet so embarrassing.

Kristina said...

I'm so glad you called to talk to the teacher! That's funny, in a sort of not funny way...you know what I mean? Goofy girl.

Munchkins and Music said...

Your kids are so funny! They really say the darndest thing sometimes!

Mom said...

Oh I was mortified for you reading that post but I must say I also had a huge grin too!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. I was so nervous reading that. I can imagine you running all the way home from the bus stop to straighten it all out.
Sheesh!

Melissa said...

oh my gosh! Wow, having kids really does make like shake up sometimes, doesn't it!?

also known as shell said...

Thats funny and horrifying at the same time ;)

Cindy Lou Who said...

OMG - out of the mouths of babes...you just never know what they are going to say and they hear EVERYTHING, don't they???

Betsy Hart said...

Poor mom having to explain that one!! LOL!

Anonymous said...

oh maN.

I definitely would have been the mom to call the school as well.

My Corey tell his Sunday school teachers every sunday morning that he needs a snack first because his parents never feed him.

Scrapping Mum of 3 said...

I know I shouldn't laugh, but that is funny! Gosh, your heart must have just sank when you heard about it!

6 year olds are just so literal!

Fiona (Gab and the Boys)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh, my goodness! I would have died!

Jodi said...

I'm always worried about what my kids are going to say, because they always ALWAYS take things we say and twist them around until it sounds really, really bad. I will not expound further here, let's just say it isn't pretty.

Thank goodness Emily has a smart teacher who knows what's real and what isn't. No worries, mommy!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. How embarrassing. Thank goodness for a teacher with a sense of humor.

ClancyPants said...

HAHAHA!!! LOL!! That's great! What a funny girl. That is something as parents that we have to be careful with joking about... it's a freaky society we live in these days.