Saturday, September 20, 2008

FED UP

I am FED UP with my Internet Provider and/or my computer. For MONTHS now, I have dealt with spotty Internet service (often can't load pages I need, I frequently get booted off pages I'm navigating, etc), my Instant Messanger signs itself out so frequently, I've pretty much just stopped signing into it in the first place, and I VERY frequently can't send/receive emails. I've called my Internet provider multiple times and spent upwards of 30-45 minutes starting/restarting my computer, unplugging my DSL modem and restarting the computer, logging into test sites to test my connection, restarting my computer, checking settings, rechecking settings, restarting my computer, ETC, only to be told my Internet service is just fine and dandy and it must be something with my computer. I've had my computer serviced TWICE this summer, to the tune of close to $100, and it would have been much higher, except I was given a family discount since my MIL works with the computer tech who serviced my computer. HE says it's clearly an Internet issue.

I spent close to 6 hours last night without the ability to SEND emails. I tried an online help chat thingy provided on my Internet Provider's website, but the man HONEST TO GOODNESS must have been typing one-handed, because it took 3-5 minutes on average to get his SHORT typed replies to my questions and comments, and to offer his suggestions. And then he said he didn't know how to further help me with that particular problem, but was there anything else he could help me with? I replied, "apparently not" and clicked off. Then I called the 24/7 help-line and spent 15 minutes on the phone with a nice gentleman who finally informed me that the error number I was receiving with the unsent emails is a specific code to a Microsoft problem and I would need to contact THEM about my problem. Went to the microsoft.com and searched the error code to see if there were downloads (the guy I spoke to on the phone said it was a missing file in my email program and there would probably be a download to repair it). While perusing miles of help chat feeds, I discovered that there is some all-powerful company that can flag your outgoing mail as spam, which will then, in turn, block ever other email in our outbox. So I had to go delete all the emails in my outbox and try them all again.

They actually went through at about 10pm.

Unfortunately, that doesn't explain why I also very often can't RECEIVE email either, and doesn't explain my spotty Internet service, or the IM that signs on and off over and over and over again. So I called the Internet provider 24/7 help line again and was told things seem to be running fine, but that he'd send out a technician to check the outside lines tomorrow between 8 and 9am. If I'm still having problems at 5:30pm tomorrow night, I'm supposed to call back and check the status of the visit and hear the results and figure out a plan of action from there.

I'm furious that I've spent this much money to have DSL, to then have it not even function properly for the last AT LEAST six months. Then the money I've spent having the computer serviced, and the TIME I've spent on the phone being given the run-around.

I should have married Bill Gates. I'll bet HIS wife never has to deal with stupid Internet issues and unhelpful help-line employees...

Oh, and something is blocking my computer's ability to automatically download updates at shutdown, and no one has the slightest clue how to help me with THAT problem either.

Any computer "nerds" out there who want to take pity on a poor computer illiterate, FED UP girl and give her a heads up on what the heck I need to do here???

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Leah....for your sanity, I would definitely change providers.

My computer/internet is a household item- and MOMMY NEEDS it to cope.

good luck:-(

Cheryl said...

WOW! I feel for ya 'cuz there's almost nothing in the world that ticks (& I'm being nice saying ticks) me off than computer problems & the stupidity of the technicians you work with. Sometimes I KNOW I'm smarter than they are. Then, at the end when you've still not been helped, they ask in their BFE India accent if they've provided you with excellent service!!! I just want to fly through the phone!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugggghhhh! (Sorry, I'm better now...breathe Cheryl...maybe I'll go lay down.)

Kaci said...

Hugs hugs hugs...XOXOXOX. Get it fixed cause if I have no Leah I just can't go on! Where's my Titanic music?

bv said...

Ouch...that is the worst! Forget Bill Gates...switch providers ASAP!!!!!

Unknown said...

Yeah Bill Gates may be rich, but he's kinda nerdy lookin and your kids wouldn't be nearly as cute. Sorry, I feel your pain :(

Betsy Hart said...

Leah, that just SUCKS! Is there any other provider you can go thru in your area? I have cable internet connection and haven't had any issues with mine. I know my computer needs help though. LOL! Good luck!

Cattigan said...

I am married to a computer nerd and I'm the last on his list when I have computer problems. I'm sure Bill does the same thing to his wife! I can feel your pain... I am lost without my computer/internet!

Cindy Lou Who said...

I feel your pain...I hate it when the computer has a mind of its own and does not do what I want it too. The best suggestion is to hire someone to come to your home and check not only your internet line, but your computer. Its usually a few hundred bucks, but worth it in the end for your sanity. We use those companies at work, and it saves us from throwing our monitors out the window. LOL

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. Computer problems are the worst! So infuriating.

Jen said...

UGH I'm sorry Leah! This has been going on for a while too :(

Valarie said...

When our internet was crappy like that, we called and threw a fit and they fixed it and gave us 60 days free. So my suggestion, make a big stink about it!