Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A little of this and a little of that...and a Hallmark card

Okay, so only two of you weighed in on topic ideas, (thanks Betsy and Kaci!), which means you'll be subjected to the random musings of my mind tomorrow. Hopefully I don't drive all Leah's readers away over the next few days!

1. Betsy wanted to know what happened with my cats and the vet trip I mentioned yesterday. The short version is that I tricked Zoe into the bathroom where I hid the cat carriers, struggled briefly with her, and managed to get her in the crate with only minor abrasions on my hand. Sid heard the commotion, couldn't get into the bedroom to hide, and didn't know what to do with himself, so he started scratching at the bathroom door...to get in.

Sometimes? I think he's the dumbest cat on the face of the planet.

He's probably the sweetest cat on the planet, though, so that counts for something, right?

Anyway, I opened the door and let Sid in. Once the door shut behind him, and he heard Zoe yowling in her crate, he realized something was not quite right, and struggled briefly. And in vain, might I add, as I got him in the new crate and didn't even get any more scratches. It happened so quickly I don't think his little pea brain even had a chance to process what was happening to him until it was too late and the door snapped shut.

Ha! I outsmarted my cats again - though that may not be much to brag about considering their limited intelligence. Zoe is not as dumb as Sid, but she would do anything for a treat.

I think the cats had the last laugh, though, because the visit was expensive.

I am seriously considering making them get paper routes to help pay for it.

If you want to know how the rest of my day went, I wrote about it on my blog yesterday.


2. Kaci asked for a Hallmark card. Most of you probably don't read my blog and have no idea that I have several unfortunate addictions. My most serious addictions are to reality television, infomercials, clear plastic boxes and Hallmark cards.

If I have an occasion to purchase a card, I can't physically limit myself to one - I typically end up with four or five at a time. Then, since I love the cards so much, I have a hard time giving them to the people I intended them for. I finally stumbled across the brilliant idea of scanning them and sharing them on my blog.

Some cards are universally funny, and some are funny just to me (my husband, J, is the way I gauge the funny quotient - if he laughs, it's good, but if he rolls his eyes, it's probably funny just to me), but I love them all equally.

If you want to see the entire collection, you can visit my blog. I have 11 posts in the Hallmark card category, and there are about three more scheduled so far. But, because Kaci asked, I'll share a card here that I haven't shared yet. A preview, if you will.













3. In the comments section yesterday, Leah's Auntie wanted to know if Leah and Emily were in my wedding, and if my husband is really seven feet tall. Well, Auntie, here's some photographic proof to answer both questions:




The short (ha! I'm so punny!) answer to both of your questions, Auntie, is: YES! Leah and EG both got gussied up and joined J and I on our wedding day, and J really is seven feet tall.

EG was barely walking and totally stole the show. And, you can see that J has his legs spread so that he looks a little shorter, but he's still freaky tall. For points of reference, I'm 5'6", and my father-in-law (the Best Man to the right of J in the picture) is about 6'6" tall.

This next picture shows his freaky height a little more clearly. He's standing next to his baby sister, C, and she is 5'10" tall. The doors at his parent's house are abnormally tall, too. As you can surmise, there are some really tall people in the Hocking family, so when they built their house, they took poor J's head into consideration (among other things) and raised as many door frames and ceilings as possible. It's one of the few places in this world he doesn't have to duck to get through most of the doors.





Though J is really tall, you quickly forget just how tall until other people point it out again. Unfortunately those people are usually literally pointing at him and talking about him as if being tall makes him deaf, too. He's pretty great about it, though.

4 comments:

Cindy Lou Who said...

LOVE the Hallmark Card! Freakin Hilarious considering I just got one of those stupid emails today!

And J should be glad that he's a guy at 7' and not a girl! Any girl LOVES a tall guy!

Kaci said...

YAY thanks for the card...I love them and giggle giggle!! :)

Betsy Hart said...

Holy fricken crap, he is tall!! lol. And I LOVE the wedding pic!! My grandma tried to hook me up (yeah, never good when a sentence starts that way) with a guy who was 6'11". I am only 5'1" so it was interesting to say the least....

And the card ROFL!

And I started following your blog, so now I know when you post! Thanks for keeping me updated about the cats. I was worried. And if you are really interested in random musings, check out mine from yesterday.

Cattigan said...

Love that card!