Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Ice Castle

We've had a bit of cold weather the last few days and the lovely puddle next to the driveway froze over. What's weird, is that the water underneath disappeared, but the frozen top was still there (with about a two inch hollow area between the layer of ice and the ground). The kids cracked up the ice layer one night and the next morning, we discovered something pretty neat. Delicate little ice "fingers" had grown down from the chunks of broken ice to connect to the ground overnight. This is one section I picked up and turned upright to share:
Photobucket

And then I tried to get close-ups of the ice "fingers" because they were REALLY neat looking, but my photography abilities have a lot of room for growth still, unfortunately, and I didn't even come close to capturing how neat this looked. Em piped up that it looked like a miniature ice castle
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Anyway, sorry they aren't the greatest pictures, but hopefully you get the main idea anyway...

8 comments:

Kaci said...

Totally cool Leah!! :)

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Actually, the pics are great! I just happen to hate cold weather so I can't embrace their lovelyness!!

And it does look like an ice castle!

Hallie

Kellan said...

I think these are fantastic photos and so interesting!!! Great job! Kellan

Jennifer said...

Wow, that is really cool! It does look like an ice castle.

Betsy Hart said...

Those are so cool!! I think the pics are good too, at least your camera doesn't shut off everytime you take a pic! And not even save the picture!

Anonymous said...

I like the first picture best when your glove shows. Very cool.
I like EG's take on it being an ice castle. Give me your take on that stink'in Sponge bob Sq. (Ass) guy please!
Why are children not even remotely impressed when I try to give tooth brush instruction with THEIR VERY OWN S BOB SQ PANTS TOOTH BRUSH??
I had an 8 yr old in my chair today and he was not impressed.
I had to give him an adult tooth brush to make up for insulting him!

kimmy said...

Those are pretty good pictures! If my daughter found that she would want me to keep it in the freezer!

Kimmy

Maria said...

Wow, those picture are so cool! What a neat idea to look at it and then photograph it. It's hard to believe that came off a puddle!