Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Poor Connor

Dan was heading out the front door to check the mail earlier today, and Connor ran to the window next to the door so he could watch Dan. Dan didn't see that his right ring finger was in the space between the door and the frame while the door was open, so when he shut it, Connor's finger got smashed pretty good. I heard a weird scream that was definately not his usual "mad" sound, so went running. Dan got back inside and got to Connor a split second before I did. Connor was flailing around in Dan's arms and screaming pretty good and I knew his finger(s) had been smashed, but he was in so much pain, he was shaking and flailing and it was hard to assess the damage. After a few seconds (which seemed like FOREVER) I could see that the tip of his finger was all smushed up and the nail had been ripped away from the skin, and was only hanging on by a tiny bit. We got a band-aid loosely around it to keep him from pulling at it and to keep blood from getting everywhere (it actually wasn't bleeding much at all at the time, but I worried it would suddenly start up!). Dan took him to the prompt care building in our area and they x-rayed it to make sure the bone wasn't broken (it wasn't), then put a ton of meds on the open wound, pressed the nail back into place and then wrapped it up BIG TIME. The doctor said they've discovered lately that the nail actually has a pretty good chance of reattaching if left flapped in place, as opposed to just cutting it off like they used to do in the past, and the doctor also said the chances of infection go way down if they leave the nail attached and pressed into place.

It's pretty heart-breaking, though, to see his little hand all wrapped up!
Photobucket

We're supposed to leave it that way 4-6 days. I halfway expected Connor to be biting at it trying to get it off, but so far he's left it alone. And I'm amazed at how quickly he's adapted to having his hand all wrapped up!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh the poor guy...what a rough day he's had...My heart was tearing out as I was reading...prayers for a quick recovery.
Cindy

Kristina said...

Poor baby! I hope he gets better soon...man, what a way to get over an illness.

Shan said...

Oh the poor little guy. My heart just dropped when I saw the picture. He seems to have adapted okay though.

Kellan said...

Oh my goodness - poor little sweet Connor!! He's such a cutie - look at him with that blue cast! I'm sorry that happened to the poor little guy - I hope it doesn't bother him too much until it comes off. Take care - Kellan

Kaci said...

Poor CJ!! XOXOX from Aunt Kaci!

kimmy said...

Poor little guy! That hurts so much! I did it to myself in November and my finger nail is still recovering!

Kimmy

Kristina said...

I forgot to say "Poor Dan!!" too. He probably felt horrible! My dad smashed my whole hand in the car door when I was little, and he'll still talk about it every once in awhile. He felt so bad. But Connor will forget about this...unless his dad reminds him!

Melissa said...

Oh no! Poor Connor! I bet that broke your heart to hear him crying in such pain! Glad the doc was able to get him fixed up good!