Friday, November 9, 2007

A Short Life

I think Connor's goal in life is that he live a short life. And if he's not the death of HIMSELF, he's going to be the death of ME! I swear, I keep a close eye on this kid, but he KNOWS when my attention is turned towards one of his siblings, or that minute or two that I'm in the bathroom, or I've gone to answer the phone, ETC...

He now knows how to climb onto the spring horse we have. The part you sit on is pretty much level with his head if he's standing on the ground. The way he gets up is rather terrifying (once we actually SAW him doing it; previously we've just walked into the room and he's already up there!). I was torn between yanking him back off and directing him towards the BABY spring horse we have which involves no further effort than lifting his leg up and over the "saddle", and letting him continue with his climb (knowing he's accomplished getting up there several times before uninjured). I let him continue with his climb. He doesn't WANT to ride the baby one.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


He's also taken to climbing on the piano bench. It doesn't matter if it was nicely pushed in under the piano. Some helpful sibling inevitably pulls it out (for themselves, then forget to push it back under) and Connor takes only a very split second to climb right on up. I wasn't very concerned before, because he'd just climb up and SIT on the bench, and play a little tune for me. But NOW, he STANDS on the bench.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


And when he STANDS on the piano bench, he can reach up and get professional pictures propped up against the porcelain doll display cases sitting on top of the piano. I took this picture later on in the day, because I didn't realize what he had and I thought it was just assembly instructions for one of the many toys we have around the house, and he was so sweet sitting there, babbling away like he was reading. Until I went to take it away and realized it was my one and only copy of a professional picture of Emily and Jared, and there is no hope of ever getting another one because it's been far more than the "one year" they tell you the picture is available for. I now have a very crumpled up copy of a professional picture of Emily and Jared.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I also discovered he knows how to climb up onto the dining table. I was 10ft away, helping Jared put all this matchbox cars away, and between the clanking of the cars into the bin, and Jared talking, I failed to hear the warning sounds of a baby climbing onto the table. Until I heard his voice yelling "HI, HI, HI" and it sounded UP HIGH.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

He HAD been standing there. I yelled at him to sit down and grabbed up the camera on my way to get him (camera was 5ft away, so really truly on my way!).

I'm afraid of what he'll come up with next!

(oh, he got ahold of his daddy's VERY LARGE, VERY FULL "jug" of water and poured it out all over the floor last night...)

3 comments:

Betsy Hart said...

M seems to be in the buisness of shortening her life too.... I am glad you have some photgraphic proof though! I will have to think about that the next time she tries to climb on the changing table, or when she uses her stool to climb up the back of the couch! But then again, mine eats batteries so bad that I have to leave them out, and I fear by the time I got the batteries in and got a picture she might be seriously maimed. lol. I love Connor! He is getting to be quite the big boy! And I have to add that McKayla LOVES pictures. I have actually had to make extra copies so she has one for her... lol.

Kellan said...

Yes ... boys+climbing+water = mom going crazy!!! He is adorable and I loved that first line of this post. Cute pictures. Have a great weekend. See ya.

Suburban Correspondent said...

It's easier if you don't watch. If I really watched my kids, I don't think I'd let them do anything.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!